Greek cuisine is known for its bold flavors and fresh ingredients. When pairing cocktails with Greek food, it’s important to consider the flavors and ingredients of the food and the drink. Here are three cocktail ideas that go perfectly with Greek food in Chesterton.
Ouzo is a traditional Greek spirit that has a strong anise flavor. It’s often enjoyed as an aperitif or digestif and pairs perfectly with Greek meze (small plates). To create an Ouzo Spritz:
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Add 1.5 ounces of ouzo and 1.5 ounces of simple syrup.
- Top with sparkling water and garnish with a slice of orange. The sweetness of the syrup balances out the strong anise flavor of the ouzo, while the sparkling water adds a refreshing effervescence.
This cocktail is perfect for pairing with Greek mezes like tzatziki, dolmades, and feta cheese. The light and refreshing nature of the cocktail helps cleanse the palate between bites of rich and flavorful meze. The orange garnish adds a citrusy note that complements the tangy flavors of the meze.
Lemon- and Thyme-Infused Gin and Tonic
This classic cocktail can be easily adapted to complement Greek food. To create a Lemon and Thyme Gin and Tonic:
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Add 1.5 ounces of gin and top with tonic water.
- Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme. The lemon juice adds a bright tartness that complements the flavors of Greek food, while the thyme adds an herbal note that pairs well with dishes like grilled lamb and roasted vegetables.
This cocktail is perfect for pairing with Greek food in Chesterton that has a lot of herbs and citrus, like avgolemono soup and spanakopita. The gin and tonic base provides a refreshing counterpoint to the rich and complex flavors of the food, while the lemon and thyme add a layer of complexity that elevates the pairing.
Mastiha is a Greek liqueur made from the resin of the mastic tree. It has a unique flavor combining pine, anise, and vanilla notes. To create a Mastiha Margarita:
- Rim a glass with salt.
- Fill a shaker with ice before adding 1.5 ounces of tequila, an ounce of mastiha liqueur, and 1.5 ounces of lime juice.
- Shake properly and strain into the salt-rimmed glass.
- Garnish with a slice of lime.
This cocktail is perfect for pairing with Greek dishes with bold and spicy flavors, like souvlaki and moussaka. The tequila adds a kick of heat that pairs well with the spices in the food, while the mastiha liqueur adds a layer of sweetness and complexity that balances out the heat. The lime juice adds a bright acidity that helps cut through the food’s richness.
Pair Those Cocktails with Greek Food and More from George’s Gyros Spot
When pairing cocktails with Greek food, it’s important to consider the flavors and ingredients of the food and the drink. The Ouzo Spritz is perfect for pairing with Greek meze, the Lemon and Thyme Gin and Tonic are perfect for pairing with Greek food that have a lot of herbs and citrus, and the Mastiha Margarita is perfect for pairing with Greek dishes that have bold and spicy flavors. These cocktails will elevate any Greek meal and provide a refreshing and flavorful counterpoint to the rich and complex food flavors.
George’s Gyros Spot menu boasts a variety of tasty food in Chesterton, including Chicago dogs, Italian beef, gyros, polish dogs, and cheeseburgers. Our prices are wallet-friendly, and we’re committed to serving our food quickly without sacrificing exceptional service. To make things even more convenient, you can drive thru, call ahead for pickup, or dine in! Order now by visiting our online menu!