Who wouldn’t love a mouth-watering and healthy gyro dish? You may have ordered it from one of the Chesterton restaurants and found that you loved the well-seasoned meaty taste. You’ll love it more when you discover interesting details about this dish and try making it yourself!
What Are Gyros?
A Gyro is a Greek dish of roasted meat on a vertical spit. It is actually a Greek version of Turkey’s doner kebab, tacos al pastor in Mexico, and the shawarma in Arabic countries.
Typically, the mixture of gyro meat is composed of the ground and thinly-spiced beef or lamb. However, this can also consist of other meats, like pork and chicken. The meat is shaved off from a rotating spit as it becomes crispy and brown, keeping the succulent and tasty layers of fat.
History of Gyros: A Quick Glimpse
In the 1920s, the way of cooking meat using a vertical rotisserie was introduced in Greece by Turkish immigrants. During the 1970s, the gyro sandwich was developed by Greek immigrants to the U.S. This is similar to the Turkish doner kebab sandwich that was developed in Germany.
How to Serve Gyros
Gyros are a delicious and versatile dish. There are three ways on how to serve gyros:
In a salad:
You can make a salad mixed with cucumber, tomato, feta cheese, kalamata olive, and top it with gyro.
As a sandwich
You can prepare a delicious sandwich by folding gyro meat with onion, lettuce, tomato, and tzatziki sauce. This type of sauce refers to a yogurt sauce with cucumber and garlic.
You can also serve gyro with couscous, orzo, rice, tzatziki sauce, and pickled vegetables.
How to Prepare a Gyro Sandwich
Gyros can be a delicious sandwich for dinner, snack, or lunch. Often, this can be spiced and mixed with herbs and vegetables.
To achieve good results, you can marinate the meat for an hour before pan-frying or grilling it. Doing that will allow the flavors to create an amazing-tasting sandwich.
Prepare the following ingredients:
For the Meat Mixture
1 pound of ground beef or lamb
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp of fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 1/2 tsp cumin (ground)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Oil, for frying or grilling
For the Sandwich
4 rounds of pita or flatbread
1 tomato (diced or sliced)
4 leaves lettuce
1/2 thinly sliced onion
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- For the meat mixture, combine the ground lamb or beef, garlic, red onion, cumin, salt, lemon juice, oregano, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
- Divide the mixture into four portions equally. Shape into oblong patties for about 3-inches in width and ½ inch thick. It should appear like a shape of sausage instead of a hamburger patty. This is to ensure that the patty will fit in the pita.
- Keep refrigerated for one hour.
- Grill pan or preheat a grill over high heat. You can also use a big non-stick skillet as an alternative.
- When grilling, brush the grill pan or grill with oil. Grill or fry the patties for three-four minutes on each side or until you notice that they have crispy edges.
- To prepare the sandwiches, start by putting the tzatziki sauce on the center of the flatbread and spread it roundly.
- Add a lettuce leaf, thin onion slices, and sliced tomatoes.
- Finally, add the patty and then fold the flatbread over the meat. Repeat this for the other sandwiches.
- Eat and enjoy!
When you’re looking for great food in Chesterton, do not forget to check a gyros menu. This dish is really healthy and tasty—and easy to make too! Make your snack, lunch, or dinner an eating experience that is truly enjoyable with a delicious gyro recipe.
George’s Gyros Spot offers delicious and affordable foods in Chesterton, Indiana. You can order Italian beef, gyros, Chicago dogs, cheeseburgers, and more. Check our menu and feel free to send us your order.